So, don’t tell anyone, Internet, but on Sunday I played hooky from book revisions to go with my girlfriends to the nearby renaissance festival, Scarborough Faire. No, my friends are not named Parsley, Sage and Thyme. That would be weird (but awesome). Though possibly not as weird (but awesome) as some of the things we saw at the ren faire.
One of us had never been to such a thing before, and marveled at the amount of work people put into their costumes and crafts.
Only one of us dressed in costume. (Though more of us could have, if we’d been so inclined. As someone once said, “Fandom means never having to ask yourself ‘But where will I wear that?’”)
One of us measured distance by pub lengths. We’ll call her “Sage” because it starts with the same letter as “Sarcastic.” Sarcastic people are even funnier when they’re slightly drunk.
One of us asked a whole lot of weaponry questions and made many friends with reenactors that way. (Seriously, if you want to get on a nerd’s good side, just ask him about his hobby.)
All of us had a great time, which I will recap for you in a feature I like to call…
10 Things We Said at the Ren Faire
2) “We should start a band called ‘Chain Mail Bikini.’”
3) “There were no health codes in the renaissance.” Me: “I am SO not eating here.”
4) “Where do you suppose I could get a headman’s axe like that?”
5) “Do you think they have the chupacabra in the Museum of Monsters?”
6) *Handsome knights ride bay on horseback.* “Dibs on the paladin.”
7) Thyme: “Do you think that lady would mind if I take a picture of her dress?” Sage: “Yes. I’m sure she put all that work into her costume so people would NOT be impressed by it.”
8) *Guy with wheelbarrow goes by.* Parsley, “Bring out your dead!”
9) Me: “Who’s your new friend.” Parsley, dressed as a witch with a cat-type thing on her shoulder, “I don’t know, but he totally made out with my familiar.”
And finally, pictures:
I am, by the way, a natural with the bow. HUNGGGGER GAAAAAMES!!!!
Okay readers. Poll time! If you could time travel to any point in history (AND have running water and sanitary food preparation conditions) when would it be?