Okay, so I can’t believe I’m going to tell you to watch, considering, but just so you know, if you’re in the DFW area, I’m going to be on Channel 33 on Sunday morning at 7 am (DFW Closeup).
If you’re not in the DFW area, you can still share in my experience. I give you…
15 Things I Learn From Doing a Local TV Spot:
1) An hour before you have to leave for the studio is a bad time to discover I own no jackets that are not made of sweatshirt material and/or possessed of a zipper and hood. I own a few day dresses, but they’re all spring and summer colors, and even though it’s 75 degrees out, it’s still February. My only dressyish shirts are all white and/or cream.
2) I need to go back on my diet and get to the gym.
3) Writing out notes only works if I actually look at them.
4) Practicing what I’m going to say ahead of time is useless, because I’ll forget everything.
5) Don’t look at the monitor, because I’ll discover just how bad my final choice of outfit actually was…
6) And how I really should have worn a little more blush…
7) And stayed on my diet…
8) And playing with the puppies from the next segment probably wasn’t the best idea either, since dog slobber does silk no favors.
9) On the other hand, my hair looked great.
10) When I forget what you’re going to say in the middle of saying it, a sense of humor really helps.
11) However, there will inevitably be people who don’t realize I was joking when I said, “Of course [I wasn’t surprised my books are popular because] I’m so brilliant and witty.”
15) The folks at Channel 33, especially Shana Franklin, were delightful and friendly, for which I’m very grateful.
All of which should give you a hint how it went. Hopefully seven minutes on Sunday morning will not convince the world I’m a twit. Though I’m sure when I’m Stephanie Meyer famous, someone will dig up the clip to puncture any pretensions I may ever possess.