If you are a teen (13-17 years old) in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, and you love to write and want to find out more about writing and publishing AND make your writing more better, here’s some information for you.
WHAT: SUMMER TEEN WRITING WORKSHOP (presented by the DFW Writer’s Workshop)
WHEN: Saturdays from 1-3pm, starting June 18 and going through July 30 (no meeting on July 2)
WHERE: The Simmons Center, 508 Simmons St., Euless, TX
HOW MUCH: FREE!
There is a flyer with all this information here. (Clicking will download a pdf document you can print out and show to your parents. (Or your kid.)
We’ll cover the basics of story, conflict, character, and voice with weekly pro guest speakers:
- A. Lee Martinez – Sci Fi / Fantasy Author
- Candy Havens – Author / Entertainment Journalist
- Jenny Martin – Young Adult Author / Librarian
- Kate Cornell – Screen Writer
- Kirk von der Heydt – Teacher / Writer
- Rosemary Clement-Moore – Young Adult Author
Writing topics to be covered:
- How to give and take constructive criticism
- Conflict and Plot
- Developing your own voice
- Nonfiction / Journalism
Each meeting will have an interactive session with a writing coach covering aspects of writing and publishing. There will be free writing exercises and then opportunities for critique from your peers, as well as experienced and professional writers.
On the first session there is a 12:30 sign up meeting that a parent needs to attend. The rest of the time, it just teens and pros.