Let’s just get this out of the way. I am pretty darn excited that TEXAS GOTHIC was named one of Kirkus Reviews BEST BOOKS OF 2011. So that’s my big news.
But what REALLY motivated me to get off my duff and blog for the first time in weeks is the release of the trailer for John Carter [of Mars].
Okay, I have seriously this thing four times this morning. This classic pulp sci-fi series from Edgar Rice Burroughs was one of my first introductions to science fiction and, along with the Tarzan books, one of my dad’s very favourites. (My father was dyslexic long before they knew what that was, but he was a dedicated reader. I actually own his complete collection of the 1940s editions, which sold for 10 cents, for real. Bikini clad princesses and all.)
Anyway. Here’s the trailer. The story is about a weary and disaffected Civil War soldier who is mysteriously transported to Mars, where there is a war between two races, and there are martian beasts and flying ships and very large green men and ALL KINDS OF AWESOME.
If it doesn’t embed properly, you can go over to io9 to watch it there, or to IGN to see it in HD.
(I totally watched it AGAIN to make sure it embedded right.)
Other things I’m excited about:
1. That Kirkus Reviews thing. Imaging being included in such a list of wonderful books, like Beauty Queens by Libba Bray and Chime by Franny Billingsley (which I recommended here.)
2. Getting back to blogging.
3. Starting a new book project (or two or three that I will eventually have to decide between).
4. Being in Arizona, which is incredibly beautiful, and hopefully not having any more panic attacks today.
5. Bookanistas Reviews! Follow the links below to the latest, greatest Thursday recommends: