Here’s what’s floating my boat this week. Why? Because “Friday Faves” sounds cool.
1. Gillian Flynn. This is not a YA author. (Not by any stretch of the imagination.) She writes books about grisly murders and really twisted up characters. Her book Gone Girl is a best seller, and deservedly so. Her books keep me riveted, not just with the plot twist, but because she’s got this astounding facility with voice.
Also, it is really hard to knock me to a place where I’m staring at the book going “Holy $%^&! I did NOT see that coming.”
[YA disclaimer: I’d rate her books almost an R, not for any graphic sex but for disturbing psychology… in both the killers and the protagonists.]
2. The Immaculate Baking Company. Oh my GAWD these chocolate rolls are so good. I literally reward myself for getting up early and going to mass by baking them when I get home. (Appropriate, given the name, I guess.) Only today is Friday and I’m eating one just because. (They also promote Folk Artists and they have a blog with delicious start-with-our-products-and-make-them-even-more-awesome recipes.)
3. The cheerfulness of Vera Bradley’s Ribbons pattern… and their Pinterest board full of inspiration.
4. These floats, covered entirely in flowers (like the Tournament of Roses parade), from Holland’s Bloemencorso.
5. Joseph Gordon-Levitt in Looper. First off, I LOVED that movie. JGL did an incredible job playing young Bruce Willis. His mannerisms and line delivery were dead on. But I feel like I just discovered this guy. I know he was in Inception (and really great in that, too). But when did he go from being “Wow, that kid from Third Rock From The Sun can really act!” to “Wow, he’s kinda hot as well. A little skinny, but… day-um.”
That’s it for this Friday. I guess I’ll have to pull my head out of my book long enough to find new things to be obsessed with next week. Please make suggestions in the comments. Seriously.